Notary services are available to all U.S. passport holders and foreign nationals for documents destined to be used in the United States. The fee is 50 USD, or the Nigerian Naira equivalent, for each notary seal stamp administered. The NGN to USD exchange rate may vary. Consent forms for Consular services and notarials or certified copies to be presented by claimants, beneficiaries, or their witnesses in connection with obtaining U.S. Federal, state, or municipal benefits are free of charge if notarized at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, although individuals may also choose to have them notarized by a Notary Public in the United States.
Preparation for a notary appointment
- Before you come to the Embassy/Consulate, read your document(s) through carefully and make sure you understand the document(s). If a document is not clear, check with the office or organization requiring the notarized document or your legal advisor. Consular staff cannot explain your document(s) to you.
- Know exactly where you are meant to sign. The consular staff cannot advise you in any way on what is required of you for your document so come to the Embassy fully prepared.
- Mark every page where the notary needs to sign, with a marker sticker sticking out of the document. Also make clear which pages should be attached to each other, for instance with a paper clip.
- Fill in the document(s) with the appropriate names, places and dates. However, DO NOT sign your document – you will sign under oath at the Embassy before a Consular Officer.
- Bring personal identification, preferably your passport.
- Bring the entire document(s), even if only one page is to be notarized.
Notary Services in Abuja and Lagos require an appointment.
Please schedule an appointment for a notary in Abuja here.
Please schedule an appointment for a notary in Lagos here.
Wait Times For Notary Services
Please be aware that wait times for notaries range from 15 to 30 minutes depending on the number of customers. Generally speaking, the earlier you arrive, the shorter your wait.